Healthy Mexican Bowl
January 24, 2020 at 11:45 AM
If you like Mexican, you're going to love this Healthy Mexican salad bowl recipe idea from Kimberley at Feel Fresh Nutrition. Play around with different food combinations based on your preferences. As a general guide, aim for a balanced plate that includes non-starchy vegetables, protein, healthy fats & wholefood carbohydrates. Enjoy!
HEALTHY MEXICAN BOWL
1. Pick your protein portion (e.g. mince or kidney beans).To prepare the mince/kidney bean mixture, fry up garlic and onion in a few tbs of olive oil. Add the mince, spices, and Italian tomatoes.
2. Pick the non-starchy vegetables. Chop them up and set them aside.
3. Next, pick 1 - 2 carbohydrate sources. Sweet corn, kidney beans, brown rice, heated taco shells (pop in oven for 5-10 mins until brown) and/or natural corn chips.
4. Pick your protein portion (e.g. mince or kidney beans for a vegetarian option). To prepare the mince/kidney bean mixture, fry up garlic and onion in a few tbs of olive oil. Add mince, spices, and italian tomatoes & cook until mince is browned.
5. Pick and prepare your fats. For example, make an easy guacamole by mashing avacado & adding lemon juice, salt, pepper and red onion. Other fats you can include are sour cream & grated cheese.
Now that you have a lovely smorgasbord of ingredients, enjoy constructing your favourite Mexican bowl, Kim recommends also making a few lunch packs for the week.