Sweet and Sour Chicken
February 04, 2019 at 11:52 AM
This Sweet and Sour chicken recipe is perfect for satisfying those Chinese Sweet and Sour Takeaway Dish cravings! It's higher in healthy fats, lower in sugar, and packed with more vegetables than traditional recipes, as well as being gluten-free for those who are intolerant. So you should feel pretty good afterwards :). Enjoy!
Recipe - Serves 4
- 500 G Chicken breast
- 1 Red capsicum
- 1 Yellow capsicum
- 1 Large white onion
- 1 Carrot
- 1 Cup chopped celery
- 1 tin diced pineapple (in juice)
- 1 Cup raw rice (white or brown)
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 3-4 Tbs coconut oil
Sweet and sour sauce
- Pineapple juice (from diced pineapple tin)
- 2 Tbs apple cider vinegar
- 4 Tbs light Wattie's tomato sauce
- 2 Tbs honey
- 1 Tbs sesame oil
- 1 Tsp crushed or fresh garlic
- 1 Tsp crushed or fresh ginger
- Dice the chicken, add a drizzle of olive oil, and toss in coconut flour, salt and pepper - set aside.
- Chop all the vegetables, - set aside.
- Combine all the sweet and sour sauce ingredients in a bowl - set aside. (remember to keep the pineapple!)
- Heat 2-3 tbs of coconut oil in a non-stick pan (wait till it's quite hot), and then add the coconut flour crumbed chicken. Cook chicken pieces until they have browned on the outside, and cooked all the way through (add more oil as needed), then remove from the heat and transfer into a clean bowl. (you will add the chicken into the main mixture later).
- If you want rice - combine 1 cup of rice with two cups of water in a saucepan and bring to boil. (Total cook time for rice will be around 10-15 mins on the highest heat - check and stir every couple of mins to stop the rice sticking to the bottom of the pan)
- While the rice is cooking - Heat another 1tbs of coconut oil in the non-stick pan, then add all the vegetables. Stir for about 2mins then add the sweet and sour sauce, and cook for another 10-15mins until the vegetables start to soften. (Check the rice!).
- Once the vegetables are almost cooked, add in the coconut flour chicken, the cashews, and pineapple. Stir through for another 2-3mins just to reheat the chicken, and get all the flavours mixed in.
- Remove from the heat, and serve with rice and chopped spring onion to garnish!