Egg and Veggie Mini Muffins
May 28, 2019 at 12:49 PM
Grab and go food is essential in our busy lives. When trying to juggle work, family, and taking care of our health, food needs to be convenient.
These egg and veggie mini muffins are perfect as a high protein grab and go breakfast, a morning/afternoon snack or as the protein portion of your lunch.
Makes 10 muffins
- 12 Eggs
- ½ Bag of spinach
- Olive oil spray
- 1 White onion
- 6 Button Mushrooms
- 200g Feta (or other cheese)
- Salt/pepper to taste
- 6 Sun-dried tomatoes (optional)
- Pre heat the oven to 180 degrees
- Pan fry the onion in a spray of olive oil until fragrant.
- Add finely diced mushrooms and cook until soft.
- Spray the insides of a good non-stick muffin tray with olive oil spray
- Spoon onion and mushroom mix into the base each muffin tin
- Add a handful of spinach into the base of each muffin tin (don't worry if it doesn't quite fit, the leaves will wilt quickly in the oven!)
- Whisk all the eggs together in a jug, and pour evenly into each muffin tin.
- Top with salt and pepper, crumbled feta and a few finely sliced pieces of sun dried tomatoes.
- Bake in the oven for 10-15mins or until eggs are set.
Add garlic and sautee with the onion.
*Swap feta cheese to any cheese of your choice (Approx. 20g per muffin)
To increase protein content of each muffin (without increasing the fat) - add 1 egg white for every whole egg
To add carbohydrates - add left over cooked kumara or potato to each muffin tin.
*Note: Sundried tomatoes often come in a jar filled with canola oil. If using sundried tomatoes, make sure to drain them/squeeze out the oil before adding them to your meals, or alternatively buy them in a low fat brine (water and vinegar with a low sugar content).