Roasted Garlicky Hummus
January 06, 2020 at 1:00 PM
Hummus is super versatile as a dip - enjoy it as a snack with vegetable sticks, as a healthy sandwich spread or dolloped over a lunchtime salad. Next time you’re meal prepping, whip up a batch to keep in the fridge for the week ahead!
While hummus traditionally has garlic added to it, roasting the garlic first brings out a nutty and sweeter taste, and also makes the garlic flavour a little less pungent. Thanks to Danijela from Feel Fresh Nutrition for this recipe. For more about Danijela, click HERE.
ROASTED GARLICKY HUMMUS
2x 400g tins of chickpeas
6-8 garlic cloves
1/2 cup lemon juice
3 tbsp tahini
3 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp coarse salt
1. Preheat the oven to 220 degrees celsius.
2. Cut the top and bottom off each garlic clove, leaving the skin on. Toss cloves with a drizzle of olive oil, and wrap in a small cutting of tinfoil. Bake wrapped garlic for an hour.
3. Open chickpea tins, pour into a sieve, drain liquid, and rinse well with water until water runs clear.
4. Add all ingredients to a food processor. For the roasted garlic, squeeze garlic out of skin and into food processor. Discard skin. Process for a minute, stopping to scrap down sides of blender.
5. Add a few tablespoon of water if you'd like a smoother consistency. Taste test and adjust seasoning with extra salt.
6. Transfer hummus into a bowl. Serve with a platter of colourful fresh veggies and crackers.
Storage: keep hummus in an airtight container in the fridge for 5 days.